joi, 2 octombrie 2014

James Bender and ‘The Great Watermelon Voyage’

James Bender came to Croatia with the idea of taking enterprising students from the foster home in Kastel Lukšić, a small town outside Split, and giving them a chance to participate in a real cargo-carrying voyage through the islands and back to their home.


The Voyage takes them to the agricultural center in the Neretva Valley where they load the vessel with ripped watermelons, and afterwards sell them to raise money for charity. It’s not only about having fun together, but to combine maritime heritage with adventure and get the feeling of accomplishment while developing both leadership and entrepreneurial skills.


James, what are your passions, and how did you decide to launch ‘The Great Watermelon Voyage’ project?

I've always been passionate about everything I do, even when I was a teenager. I used to have much passion, and get into trouble, and mess around as I do even now with my projects, expedition planning and endeavors. One thing that really helped me to direct my passions was a course organized by Outward Bound. It was the time when I discovered that I am able to direct my passions and my enthusiasm to push limits and boundaries through mountaineering, expeditions, and now – sailing and other things.

What was the crucial episode in your life that changed it absolutely?

One thing that definitely changed my life is the birth of my daughter. She's now three years old, her name is Petra, and I think that she, more than anything else, has changed my outlook on life. Being a father is something that is always with me, and every decision I make means thinking of her as well.
However, before that I can again think about being a teenager, and the mistakes I made as a teenager brought me to where I am today. It often happens in life that mistakes lead us into the right direction. If I had been an excellent student and not a high-school dropout, if I had been a normal kid without wanting to push the limits, I would have never had the opportunity to do the things that I do and enjoy doing today. Not that I would everyone recommend dropping out as a recipe for success, but don’t get discouraged by mistakes or setback and be aware where they take you.

How does one day in your life with this ‘The Great Watermelon Voyage’ look like?

There is no typical day in the life of the Watermelon Voyage because there's no day that is the same. I can tell you what the idealized day would be, but we don't really know what is going to happen tomorrow.
The requirements of the voyage are that you are ready for any changes at any given time, while dealing with things out of your personal control is a great metaphor for life.  Diligence and preparation on a ship are a part of that. Each day we make an itinerary, get ready for the sea and use it as a rough outline. But we know it might bring changes. Working with changes like this gives students a real opportunity to utilize all the skills that they've developed and accumulate experience.

What people inspire you?


When people ask me what kind of music I like, I usually say: live. Through my life I have been inspired by many different people, and usually these are people I meet in person who inspire me most. Direct contact with individuals who do amazing things, who I can meet and talk to, have had the most impact on my life. I truly get inspired when people are inspiring. It energizes me in such a way that I'm able to combine several things and incorporate their ideas into the ideas I've had. And this is how Watermelon Voyage project was born.




Read more about The Great Watermelon Voyage here: http://adriatic-maritime.org/




Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu