joi, 2 octombrie 2014

Interview with Dora Perharić. Atlantic circle with the boat.


-          Which country do you call home?
-          Croatia. Even I was traveling a lot, and I was living last year in Barcelona, Spain, but home, sweet home – Zagreb in Croatia, for sure, because I grew up here, I have friends and family here – a lot of reasons to come back. Definitely Croatia, so far.

-          Do you consider yourself to be a long-term traveler or part-time?
-          Part-time because I always come back here in Zagreb: to fill with energy, earn some money and then – go again.
-          One year I was traveling on a boat with my friends, and it was for pleasure, getting some experience and joy.

-          How old were you?
-          23.

-          Tell us about this trip on a boat: you were 23, a girl, but still decided to accept the challenge, go and make Atlantic circle.
-          Yes, that was 2 years ago. My best friend Pavel bought a boat in England, but we were sailing all our lives with my dad, so we were long-term sailing partners. And then he decided to make that trip, he asked me: ‘Dora, do you want to be my crew?’ and I agreed. And then his friend from England went with us, so there were 3 of us: 2 boys and me. We went from England to Barcelona, fixed a boat there, stayed there 1 month ad the started our journey that lasted for 11 months, altogether more than 1 year with repairing the boat, preparing the whole trip etc.



-          What was the most amazing moment and most amazing country you visited during the trip?
-          Country – Cuba, moment: definitely when a huge huge whale jumped 20 meters in front of our boat: scary moment, but fascinating moment, as a picture for ‘National Geographic’ magazine in front of me.

-          Weren’t you afraid of going?
-          No, no. All the time I was talking to my father because he is a sailor and he said that I could do that, and I really wanted to do that. And the second thing is that Pavel is my best friend, we grew up together and I believed him 100% and I knew that he had skills, and knowledge, and necessary skills and I believed in him.

-          Have you ever thought of quitting?
-          No, I never said to myself: ‘I quit’ but there were moments when I said to myself: ‘Oh my gosh, what am I doing? I want my bed, I want my mom, but never thought seriously about it: I’m going to buy my airplane ticket and go home, I don’t need this in my life.

-          Were there any difficult situations?
-          Usually it was connected with some countries like Trinidad, where we didn’t feel safe and we had some situations we would prefer not to be in. The most difficult thing on a boat is social life, like you are 20 days with yourself only and 2 people, and you’re saying ‘good morning’ and ‘good night’ to the same people, and you have to be honest. If you don’t feel good – say it, if you feel good – spread this positive energy and bring something to the other people. Even if there is wind and the sea and it was raining, but if we support each other, everything else is easier.

-          What was the hottest and the coldest place you visited?
-          I think that the hottest was when we were crossing the Atlantic ocean, gong from Capo Verde islands to Barbados on the  Caribbean side, we didn’t have much wind and it lasted for 19 days, if you are outside from 12 till 3, you’re burning. The coldest – definitely when we were coming back from the Carribean side to Europe, first from Bahamas to Bermudas because we didn’t prepare ourselves, clothes wet all the time, strong cold wind, and you start dancing to warm yourself. In 3 hours you couldn’t warm yourself, putting wet clothes.

-           What rules did you have on a boat?
-          A lot of rules :)  connected with safety on a boat, we made them ourselves, 3 of us. Other rules: we are changing on the kitchen, every day is cooking someone else, cleaning. When I came.

  -     If you were not travelling what would you like to do instead?
  -     My focus on my career. The travel was for my pleasure, I was studied in Barcelona for culture manager, I am working in a producer company, producing movies. Is my dream to put my self in a higher position and have a lot of movies. Thats why I want to stay in Croatia, earn some money, and new ideas for travelling.

-      What inspires you ? and who ?
-      Generally, in my life inspires me all the people around me. In each person I am trying to find something positive, something brilliant for me. I will say first of all, my parents and grandparents, they gave me energy, some of my friends with inspired story. During this boat trip I meet a lot of interesting people, sometimes you hear little stories from some person that inspire me. 
I meat one girl she was from England and we were standing couple of weeks with her and I didn't know her story at all. She was very open mind, always smiling, with energy. Then she told me she had problems with drugs, with parents and then she realised that she has to change something to help herself and know she is travelling and enjoying life. We are visiting each other. I learned to not judge people because of their background.


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu